Sunday, December 27, 2015

Early Bird

My oldest son, Cooper, just turned four. He's always been a great sleeper. He slept through the night from twelve weeks old. With the exception of a couple weeks of regression when he was about 8 months old, he's been my rock star sleeper. (Colton on the other hand, my one year old, is the OPPOSITE, and that's worth its own post.)

Cooper puts himself to bed for naps and at night. He recognizes that he's sleepy and just goes and gets in his bed. He used to announce it to us.

"I'm sooo sleepy! I'm going to my bed!" He doesn't even bother with that anymore. Just disappears and I'm like, where'd he go?

But the one problem we've come into is he is an early bird. He goes to bed by 9pm most nights. But he is almost always up by 6am, sometimes before. And with Colton not sleeping through the night, I can't handle it! So I kinda let him do his own thing in the morning.

He's a very independent kid, and super smart. So when he gets up, he will use the bathroom on his own, then get on the couch and find himself something to watch on TV. Sometimes he goes and hangs out with Pawpaw (my father-in-law who lives with us and is also an early bird). He never gets into anything, doesn't tear up the house, or try to go outside by himself or anything crazy like that.

And of course I'm always awake, so I can hear what he's doing. I just don't get out of bed anymore. We live in a small apartment, so it's not like he's on the other side of the house and I don't know what's going on. But I've still got to figure out a way to get him to stay in bed longer. He's not losing out on sleep, I don't guess, because he takes a nap during the day, and goes to bed on his own when he's tired. Maybe he's just one of those kids that doesn't need as much sleep? Is that a thing?

I don't know if that's a thing. But I will tell you this. I am most definitely a mom that needs more sleep. So if anyone has any tips or advice on how to get the kid to sleep later, or at least stay in his bed, let me know.

I found this kid's alarm clock on Amazon and it seems like a good idea. But I only paid $5 for my own alarm clock, so paying nearly $30 for one for my four year old rubs me the wrong way.

I'm sure there's tons of ideas out there, so spam me with them!



No comments:

Post a Comment